My family and I are a wolf pack where the dogs out number the humans–and that’s the way we like it! My husband, Mr. JD, and I are definitely dog people. I would have a dozen if I could, but we’re maxed out at three: Huffman, Kiddo, and Peekaboo.
They all have sad stories about how they came to us—locked away my hoarders, abused, stuffed in a way-to-small cage, dying of worms. Needless to say, we tend to spoil them when they are good, which means I make a lot of treats for them. They’re favorite (besides the occasional pepperoni Mr. JD sneaks them) by far, are Frosty Paws.
Alas, they are on the expensive side, BUT they are super easy to make; contain ingredients that have calcium, vitamins, low fats, anti-imflamatories, and protein; and are pretty healthy in moderation—so I don’t mind whipping up a few when I have the ingredients.
This time I decided to make them with a fall twist. I am waiting patiently for my first soy pumpkin spice latte of the year, but in the meantime my pups can celebrate September 1, right? Pumpkin is actually good (in moderation) for dogs tummies, so why not add some into the mix?!
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 2 Big Tablespoons Canned Pumpkin (NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling)
- 1/2 c. Plain, Low Fat Yogurt
- 1 Big Tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Smash the banana with a fork in a bowl and add the pumpkin in.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. It should end up a semi-thick consistency. If you want to get a less lumpy result just throw all of your ingredients into a blender.
- Get 6 cupcake wrappers and place them in a small baking pan.
- Pour the batter in each cupcake wrapper, about half full.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours.
I added a few sprinkles to the top because Huffman’s Birthday is soon! If covered up, these should keep for a few weeks in the freezer without getting gross.
Whip some up for your pups to celebrate fall—hopefully while you’re drinking a pumpkin spice latte!
Commence the tail wagging!